Firkin Around...the kitchen.
Here's my own personal favorite take on chili. I call it Seven Pepper chili. Enjoy!
Serves/Makes: 6 to 8
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef (turkey can be used as a substitute)
- 3/4 bottle of beer (a good lager, IPA or even a porter)
- 1 tbls. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbls. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 - 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 - 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped/seeds in
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbls. Tabasco® brand liquid pepper
- 1/2 tbls. cayenne pepper
- 1 - 4.5 oz. can green chilies
- 1 small Scotch Bonnet pepper diced...if you dare! (WARNING-You may want to wear gloves!!!)
How to cook the chile:
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Throw in meat and onions. Brown meat and sweat onions.
- Add the two cans of tomatoes and turn up the heat.
- When bubbling, back off heat and add the cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper and beer. Stir well.
- Add all other pepper ingredients at 30 minutes. Stir often at a simmer.
- Add kidney beans at one hour and continue to simmer for one more hour, or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- If too dry, use the reserved 1/4 bottle of beer. If not.....Cheers!
Pair it with a refreshing beer, of course! What's up with the tissues? Oh yeah....you're going to need them! Cheers to a great meal.
Firkin hot and spicy!